Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 35: Not expecting the unexpected

After all, why would you? :-) I set out deliberately to take a few photos of some flowers I had saved for another day and spent about 5 minutes wandering around trying to get the optimal photo. A few birds darted about from tree to bush and back again and I ended up following the sound of some calls that I didn't recognize. I caught a fleeting glimpse of a tiny bird flying off into another tree but I wasn't close enough to stand any chance of identifying it. I moved on and found even more of the flowers I'd set out to photograph, and spent another few minutes getting their best side.

Satisfied that I'd managed to get the best-ever flower photo (!), I turned to head back to the office, only to be stopped by some yellow lilies that at first reminded me of my all-time favourite alpine flower, the glacier lily. These lilies were nothing like that, being much larger and more showy. Typical cultivated species I guess. I took a few pics just to see what might work for future days. Once more happy that I was done I continued on my way... only to be surprised again by another patch of lilies, this time pink. These looked much more like the wild varieties (including the white fawn or trout lilies I'd gone to Lighthouse Park to find at the beginning of this project). I crouched down and took a handful of photos, mostly to show Maria.

And would you know it, I liked one of them so much I made it my photo for today. To say that was unexpected would be an understatement.

Pink and green
UBC, 26 Apr 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment