Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 29: Scouring the neighbourhood

One of our favourite spring-time blooms is the downy serviceberry tree. Its long, droopy white petals appeal to us in a way that the oversized magnolia flowers do not. Perhaps it's also because downy serviceberry is a native wild species that gives it the extra appeal. It was one of the first (of not the first) tree to bloom in the high ridges of the Appalachians, and we saw plenty of it when we lived in Maryland. I'm not a big fan of cultivated species, especially if we've seen native versions growing wild. Bleeding heart is one that springs (no pun intended) to mind: we much prefer the understated, pale pink wild flowers to the in-your-face fuchsia-pink and white cultivated equivalent.

Since before I began this project (quest?) I have been keeping my eyes open for a nice tree to photograph. Somehow I haven't been very lucky so far, only encountering good trees on dull, rainy and windy evenings, and all the photos I've taken have been decidedly shrug-worthy. Tonight was also dull and drizzly, and the blossom on many trees is looking a bit past it, but while I was sizing up a different photo altogether, I walked by a small tree only recently in bloom. A good number of emerging flowers complete with fresh green leaves were perfectly lit against a dark, yet colourful, background.

As ever, the light was low so I had to hold as steady as possible to take the photo (well, photos: I actually took about a dozen). The outcome wouldn't win any prizes for sharpness, but I really like the overall effect. It's slightly soft, but in a soft-focus kind of way rather than the usual unsteady blurriness :-) It won't stop me looking for the perfect flower, but I'm more than happy with it for today's photo.

Downy serviceberry
Kitsilano, 20 Apr 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment