Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 22: Working for it

I think today was more representative of what much of this year will be like. I had no firm ideas about what to photograph, and since I've been carrying the old camera, I have to pick my subjects with a bit of care to get the best out of it. I saw a couple of things I liked the look of on my way in to work, and took some shots, but generally wasn't too happy: the subjects weren't as interesting as I'd first hoped. The only other chance I got today was at the end of the day, and I took a detour on my route to the bus to check out if the resident hummingbird was still around.

I'd taken a few of him yesterday but they were all against a bright sky (something which this camera doesn't deal with very well), so I wasn't happy with them. Today, I spotted the hummingbird in a different tree, with a dark background - much better. I put the camera on continuous shoot, zoomed in all the way and took a dozen photos. Most of them were blurry (no surprise as I was down to 1/100 s or longer), but a couple looked good enough to crop. I still wasn't sure any of them would be useable so I found some flowers to photograph too. As it happened, the hummingbird photo turned out much better than the flower photos. I'll save those for another day :-)

Anna's hummingbird
UBC, 13 Apr 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment