Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 36: Ten per cent

Thirty-six days in: that's 10 per cent. It's already been more than a month since I began. Perhaps it's excusable to use this milestone to indulge in a little reflection. Here's what I've learned over the last five weeks and a day.

  • Some days it's hard to be motivated to seek out something worth photographing.
  • Despite my off days, I'm still convinced that the variety of new growth makes this time of year the easiest time to commit to a 365 project. It's only going to get harder from here on :-)
  • I'm lucky to work on the UBC campus which has plenty of naturey stuff I like to photograph.
  • Knowing what you like to photograph is important, as is having a plan for finding such things every day. I've been making a list of things to photograph on those uninspired days.
  • A surprising reaction is that I don't like the "random-stuff" look to our Flickr photostream. Taking photos every day for the purpose of taking a photo every day doesn't sit very well with me. I began taking photographs to document things we did, places we visited. I'm used to trying to tell a story with a series of photos, rather than highlighting a single moment in time. I think the Flickr set I've been adding these photos to looks messy.
  • Much as I generally dislike our Canon S3IS, I'm still very happy with the macro photos it takes.
  • Choosing a single photo can be difficult on some days :-)

And while I don't yet have a decent picture of the flowers I've visited several times lately, I did at least get an OK photo of some deep pink magnolia buds.

Magnolia buds
UBC, 27 Apr 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment