Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 34: And the rain continues to fall...

It rained pretty much all day today. While I had the day off, I didn't get an opportunity to get out somewhere to find a photo subject. After dropping off Maria at morris practice, I decided that rain or not, I had to get some fresh air. I drove round to Stanley Park and pulled in at the sad-looking hollow tree. I wasn't after a photo of the tree itself, instead I was heading for my favourite tree in the park - an enormous red cedar about 100 m from the hollow tree. It was raining lightly and I had thought hard enough about getting my photo to recognize that bringing the tripod would be a good idea.

I traipsed down the path and struck off into the trees to find "my" cedar. I set up the tripod and took a handful of photos. As I was moving the camera, I looked down to see a gorgeous patch of fresh bleeding heart flowers just blooming, their distinctive leaves bright green in the gloom, and dappled with glowing water droplets. I couldn't resist photographing them as well, but had to give up soon after that due to the rain getting a little heavier.

I drove round to Third Beach and parked up next to the restaurant there, and walked to the edge of the cliff above the seawall. I'd not stopped here to look at the view before, and was delighted to find a clear vantage point over the beach itself, further revealed by the lowering tide. A few patches of seabirds bobbed around here and there; the occasional cormorant flew by inches above the water. My view was drawn upwards when I heard a cawing crow, and I was greeted by the sight of a bald eagle drifting barely 20 m overhead. It was almost completely silent, and I had the place pretty much to myself - no one else could be bothered to get out of their car.

Sanity restored. I should really visit Stanley Park more often.

My favourite tree
Stanley Park, 25 Apr 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment