Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 24: Another week...

...goes by. I had the good camera with me today to follow up on a couple of test photos I'd taken in the week with the other one. I had a few options in mind, but they all went out the window when I passed a tree and noticed some movement in one of the outer branches. I thought it was just a chickadee and went in for a closer look. It turned out to be bigger than a chickadee, but not by much. I moved closer and to my surprise I saw it was a tiny downy woodpecker, not much bigger than a sparrow. I set down my bag and dragged out the camera as carefully as possible, hoping that I wouldn't spook the woodpecker into flying off into another tree.

I was lucky: the little bird hopped over to a nearby branch which gave me an even clearer shot. Click, click, click. And despite a late afternoon visit to the resident hummingbird for another photo or two, it was the little woodpecker's day.

Female downy woodpecker
UBC, 15 Apr 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment