Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 16: Progress around the sun

The earth has travelled through about 4% of its orbit around the sun since I started this project. I thought I was doing well having taken a photo every day for the last two weeks or so, but put like that I still have something like 96% of the task ahead of me...

Time to look at it a different way then. How about the moon? It has travelled more than 50% of its orbit around the Earth since I started. That sounds much better :-) The last two nights have seen clear sunsets, which have felt quite rare of late, and it's been nice to see the young crescent moon in the darkening evening sky.

When we first got our "superzoom" camera a few years ago, I used to take moon pictures almost every clear night. Now I hardly take any as I've come to the conclusion that I need a longer lens and/or a better tripod to take good photos. The telephoto lens for our SLR does quite well, partly thanks to the camera's umpteen megapixels, but it's not often that I'm satisfied with the results. I was too lazy to set up the tripod tonight, so I tried my luck hand-held. This rarely works so I have to wonder why I bother, and yet tonight, between gusts of wind, I was able to get a sharp shot. Thank you, image stabilization.

Crescent moon
Crescent moon, 7 Apr 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment