Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 1: And so it begins...

Blogs and/or photo projects of the "one-a-day" kind never appealed to me. I figured they were mostly an exercise in Internet-narcissism (look at ME!) and yet here I am, Day 1 on a new blog posting a photo which may be the start of something interesting, or just another navel-gazing series of words and pictures. Or it may fall flat on its face.

I've tried blogs of various kinds and they generally don't stick. I kinda maintain a hiking diary over at Wordpress but it's woefully behind and far from complete. I tried a generic "blog-when-you-feel-like-it" blog, but that disappeared into nothing. I even had the grand idea of reviewing every album I own. This got further than most, and yet it's been more than two years since I last felt compelled to write about the music I listen to.

With all that in mind, how on earth do I propose to keep up with a one-a-day prescription? To make matters worse, the backlog of photos scattered across multiple hard-drives at home would seem to suggest that posting a photo a day is simply beyond me. But perhaps with a different focus, and with the emphasis on trying to find one photo that is worth posting and (maybe) writing about, I might be able to pull it off.

Well it all seemed like a good idea when I was sat mulling it over a glass of whisky the other night.

So here's photo number one, and to my mind it's quite apt, perhaps even contrived. Today I took the morning off work and spent a couple of sunny hours wandering round Lighthouse Park in search of white fawn lilies. I didn't find any lilies, so I sought out a spot where I'd seen trillium growing last year and sure enough they were just beginning to emerge. One flower was slightly ahead of the rest and I could see the white petals furled up inside the third leaf, ready to emerge within the next few days. Usually I catch trillium at or past its peak flowering, so I was really pleased to find some at this early stage.

Unfurling trillium
Lighthouse Park, 23 Mar 2011

Day 2 is another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment