Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 38: Weaving towards the weekend

I'm a big fan of alliteration and a little punnery. Today is Friday and the tagline above comes from the fact that the word "Friday" is derived from the day of Frige, a Germanic love goddess (no less!). Frige may or may not be the same goddess as Frigg, who is often associated with weaving. Ta-da! Plus there may even be a tip of the hat to the custom in some countries of getting drunk on a Friday night, and staggering home (usually via the Indian take-away or kebab shop). Not that I engage in such activities...

And so on to today's photo. I'd been wandering about (weaving, even) getting a few photos here and there and I was heading back to my office when the guy on the bike in the photo below rode by. A couple of these high-rider bikes had been locked up near the Student Union building for a few weeks but this was the first time I saw someone riding one. I pulled out the camera, which fortunately still had the long lens on, and snapped his photo as he rode away. The yellow frame and backpack contrasted nicely with the blue construction fencing, and the picture worked out much better than I expected. Like the old Penny Farthing, I have to wonder how these riders deal with all the stop signs in the city...

Weaving weekendwards
UBC, 29 Apr 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment