Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 127: Berry nice

Last week I noticed a bush laden with ripening blueberries. (At least they look like blueberries - I'm not entirely sure, so I'm a little hesitant to try them.) Today I thought I'd try some nice close-up macro berry photos. Except the breeze had other ideas and although I got a couple of good-enough shots, on the whole it was really difficult to get what I was after. As I was hunting for good berries to photograph, I could hear starlings deeper in the bushes. I didn't pay them much attention (they're just starlings, after all) but some movement caught my eye and I found myself with a clear line of sight to one bird about 2 metres away. I stopped moving, and waited for it to move into a more photogenic position - which didn't happen, so I didn't get the photo I was after there either.

In the meantime another starling had flown into the top of the bush I was next to, and with a little movement to my right, I could get a reasonable view of it feasting on the berries. A quick fiddle with the camera to make sure it didn't over-expose the shot, and I was able to focus on the bird while it was feeding. I waited for it to grab another berry and took the photo as it lifted its head. What I didn't see at the time was how the bird tossed the berry into the air and caught it - and to my surprise my photo had captured that very moment.

Berry nice thank you
UBC, 27 Jul 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment