Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 110: At the bog

Yes, you read that right: at the bog. Not "on" the bog, but at it. Camosun Bog on the eastern edge of Pacific Spirit Park, and I've wanted to go there for a while because I'd read that sundew, a carnivorous plant, grew there. I didn't get any good shots of them, but I was staggered to see just how much was growing there. And remarkably, there are information boards about almost every other bog plant except sundew, the most interesting, or at least unusual (if you don't find tiny carnivorous plants interesting :-), plant there.

Part of the bog was bathed in warm sunshine and I remembered to put on some sunscreen (yay!). The walk along the boardwalk was peaceful and warm, and I slowed to something less than a crawl as I savoured the sun, the scent of the trees and the sight of the laden blueberry and red huckleberry bushes. As I walked, I disturbed a large dragonfly or two. I stopped to see if they would land again, and sure enough one landed on a nearby Saskatoon berry bush. I peered at it through the lens and noticed that its jaws were moving - it must be eating something it has just caught. I quickly took half-a-dozen photos and when I got home I checked to see if I was imagining it. Sure enough, look closely at the photo below and you might just see the head of an insect it is devouring.

Feasting dragonfly
Camosun Bog, 10 Jul 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment