Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 106: Hardy laurel

Today's photo is one of those surprise photos. I had gone out to look for a few possible photos of flowers I'd spotted in the days before, or of the moon which was rising at about lunchtime, when I noticed the laurel bushes in flower. I much prefer the laurel to the rhododendron or azalea. Maybe it's the geometric shape of the flowers, or maybe it's the shape of the new buds which remind me of the little iced gem biscuits I liked as a kid. (Thinking about it, I'm not sure I really did like them - maybe it was the tin they came in?)

I suspect these days that a larger factor is that we've seen a couple of wild, native varieties while hiking. When we lived near Washington, DC, we hiked in Shendanoah National Park, hoping to catch the mountain laurel in bloom in May and June. Here in BC, we're always on the lookout for kalmia or bog laurel, with a deep pink flower and only a few inches high, found in wet alpine and sub-alpine meadows. Which reminds me, surely some must be beginning to bloom up there...

Laurel in flower
UBC, 6 Jun 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment