Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 108: The sun sets on another day

I don't normally like waiting until the end of the day to get my photo, but I spent all of today indoors without having much inclination to head outside, despite the fine weather. Looking through my Flickr set for this project I realized that I have almost no sunset photos so far.

I kept an eye on the sky and figured that there might be some colour in tonight's sunset. A little after 8 pm I picked up the camera and cycled down to Kits Beach. I was greeted by music as I reached the outdoor pool, and as I listened I found myself thinking, "Sounds a bit like the Brothers from Waiauhuluhula Bay" which is my standard reaction to Hawaiian music ever since one stay at Uncle Billy's in Hilo where I swear one of the songs had that title (or something like that). Or was it the band? I can't remember exactly.

As I got nearer I realized it was indeed Hawaiian music and on the stage at the Kitsilano Showboat was a group of young Hula dancers. I snapped a couple of photos, as it looked quite incongruous before making my way down to the beach to watch the sunset. As it got darker I wondered if I had miscalculated and began hoping that one of the hula photos might work. I was just about to leave the beach when I looked up and saw the clouds were lighting up intense pink in the west. In particular, the clouds directly over (and around) Mt Elphinstone on the Sunshine Coast were lit up brightly - that was my picture. I snapped away making sure I had it covered, then turned on my bike lights and pedalled home.

Pink clouds surround Mt Elphinstone
Sunset, 8 Jul 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment