Friday, July 15, 2011

Day 115: Concrete meadows

Told you I'd come back to these flowers :-) Today's photo is wider view of the flower bed in which I took a photo of the pink cornflower from a couple of days ago. I don't normally like to revisit somewhere so soon, but I just know that once these flowers start to wilt, they'll be dug up and replaced with something more garish.

This is the second photo I took today: the first one was just as good, but was taken with the usual settings I like to use, which meant that the background flowers were out of focus. One of the main differences between the old compact camera and the new SLR is the depth-of-field (or how much you can keep in focus): the SLR has a shallower depth of field (for a given aperture). Sometimes that works to the photographer's advantage, sometimes it's a pain - it's definitely caught us out on several occasions. Depth of field goes up for smaller apertures (bigger f-numbers), but a smaller aperture means less light, which means blurry pictures are more likely (unless you have a tripod).

So back to today's photograph. I increased the f-number to 22 (from 8), and although the exposure time was quite long (1/25 s if you want to know) the photo came out sharp, and with (almost) all the flowers in lovely focus. :-) It worked!

Mini meadow
UBC, 15 Jul 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment