Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 111: Spiky

In the words of Bilbo Baggins, today is the eleventy-first day of the project, a cricket score that used to prompt umpire David Shepherd lift one or other foot off the ground. One hundred and eleven years ago was 1900, the beginning of the twentieth century (and we've lived in North America for eleven of those). One hundred and eleven months ago we lived in Greenbelt, MD. One hundred and eleven weeks ago I got up at 4 am to go photograph sunrise :-)

This morning I opened the freezer and noticed that several of the ice cubes in the tray I'd put in last night were growing little spikes. I'd seen other people's photos of these spikes but never seen them in any of our own cubes, so I couldn't resist making this today's photo. I could claim that there were three of these spikes (which could look like 111 if lined up alongside one another) but alas there were four... :-D

It's easy to explain, and their appearance seems to require pure water. Maybe I used the filtered water? Maybe we had a particularly clean batch of tap water? I don't know - I tried it again and it didn't work, so who knows...

Ice spike
Ice spike, 11 Jul 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment