Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 93: Dragonfly

Have you ever tried to take a photo of a dragonfly in flight? Neither had I until today. After a successful flower hunt (where I found some nice California poppies) I was on my way back to the office when I thought I'd try my hand at getting a picture of one of the numerous large insects circling in a small grassy patch. I must have spent the better part of 15 minutes sitting in the grass following whichever dragonfly seemed to be flying the closest/slowest. I was able to follow one of them - sometimes - but then trying to get the camera to focus on it was next-to-impossible. I switched to manual focus at one point, but that was way off. After a few fuzzy dragonfly photos I managed to get one of them right in the focus cross-hairs and took the shot as quickly as possible, not worrying about such niceties as composition. And with that, I left my patch of damper-than-I-first-realized grass and went back to Perl coding. I'll revisit the flowers tomorrow.

Dragonfly in flight
UBC, 23 Jun 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment