Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 87: Cars

Barely two weeks ago I casually answered an advert on Craigslist for a Honda CR-V. I'd had it in mind that the replacement for our aging Integra would be something more suited to getting to remote trailheads, but it was one of those tasks I wasn't really looking forward to - finding a car, test-driving, getting it inspected, haggling over the price and then all the ensuing paperwork. I didn't hear anything back about the ad for 3 days and had given up on it when I got a reply saying the car was indeed still available. We arranged a time to take a look and it seemed to live up to the advert. Later that week I got it inspected, which revealed nothing of immediate concern and so we found ourselves on Friday evening going through the necessary forms involved in buying a new car.

The fact that the buying part went smoothly enough had us in a state of bewilderment. Now it was time to sell the old car. I was looking forward to this part even less. At one point I wasn't even convinced that our car was worth trying to sell, but spelling out the facts assured me it was, and that we should be able to get a reasonable price. The sticking point was always going to be the rust on the boot (or trunk if you prefer). People are funny about cars like that: it irritates me no end that a shiny PoS is more likely to sell than a weathered gem. And I looked upon our Integra as a weathered gem: it was the best car we've ever owned. Damn good fun to drive (when the mood took me), especially for an automatic, and economical by North American standards.

I put it through its emissions test (always a selling point), hoovered the inside, ran it through the car wash and took a few pictures of it in nice morning sunshine. I must admit it looked good in the photos. I've always liked the colour and style. Finally, this morning, with some trepidation, I put the ad on Craigslist. To my astonishment, I received five inquiries over the course of the day. I arranged a time with two people for tonight and, to my further astonishment, the first person gave me an offer I was more than happy with. So within the space of a little over two weeks we've bought and sold a car, with about as little hassle as you could possibly hope for.

Which kinda brings me to today's photo in a roundabout way. I'd spotted this sign a while back on my bike route into work, and promised to take a picture during the Stanley Cup finals. That didn't happen, but I figured today was as good a day as any to get that photo. I was tempted to include the nearest parked car as it was an oldish Chrysler (a genuine PoS in my opinion), but in the end I was content to just allude to what may have been parked there, with an oblique reference to the trouble after the final game on Wednesday.

No parking!
Kitsilano, 17 Jun 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment