Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 71: Under my own steam

It's day 3 of Vancouver's Bike To Work Week (BTWW), and to my amazement I have managed to cycle up that hill for three days in a row. I don't think I've ever actually done that before - I've done two days in a row, but then always had a rest day after that. I spent a little time last night attaching mud-guards as today's weather forecast called for rain, which never materialized. In fact I rode home without my coat on it was that warm. (I think it got to 17 degrees today!)

UBC had a commuter station set up along University Boulevard and I stopped to see what was on offer, only to find that they had run out of (Ethical Bean) coffee....! :-o Well it didn't really matter since I had my own perfectly good Salt Spring brew in my bag ;-) I picked a couple of sample-sized granola bars for later.

I like the idea of BTWW, yet my participation doesn't really do very much as I always take public transport to work anyway. The only time I've driven in to UBC is on the occasional weekend (maybe three times in total). Most of the cyclists I see along the way are undoubtedly regulars, and the academic year is over so there are no students doing their bit. And yet UBC still has the highest number of participants of all the companies taking part (in second place is the city of Vancouver itself). It's not clear to me which company has the highest participation rate but I don't think it's possible to work that out (since I don't know how many employees each company has). To my surprise, though, the UBC Physics team is the largest at UBC with 25 participants.

There's a second BTWW in November - now taking part in that one will be quite a challenge. Watch this space... :-)

My means of contributing to BTWW
Bike to Work Week, 1 Jun 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment