Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 76: Peace

I knew what I wanted to photograph today, spent 5 minutes taking the pictures and found a couple of possibilities. Today's target was some lilac-coloured columbine holding its ground against an enveloping azalea bush. Normally we see orange columbine (or yellow in the Rockies), but I guess several variants have been cultivated to yield different colours. At least this variant looks pretty much exactly like the wild one, so I'm quite happy to take pictures of it.

Columbine is named after the Latin word for dove, columba, because the flowers look like a handful of doves roosting, the long slender curve of the top of the flower mimicking their necks. For the first time I could really see that, especially as the splayed petals looked like wings, and the curve of the bell looked like tail feathers. Can you see it?

Lilac columbine, looking columbine
UBC, 6 Jun 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment