Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 86: Three eagles and a raccoon

Last night was the full moon closest to midsummer. Many parts of the world witnessed a lovely lunar eclipse which happened mid-afternoon here. I thought about heading out somewhere to catch the moonrise over the city but that didn't happen. I did go out and get a couple of moon pictures (startling a skunk in the process), but it was high in the sky by then. (Or at least as high as the moon gets in the summer.)

I awoke a little after 4:30 am and padded through into the dining room to see if the moon was still visible. Since the sky was clear I picked up the camera and went out onto the balcony to snap a couple of shots. Then I had another idea. I could see where the moon was going to set and I thought I'd be able to combine driving out there with a couple of early-morning errands. And so by 5 am I was driving away from our apartment, the streets empty of traffic. Somewhere along 16th Ave I had to slow down for a well-fed raccoon crossing the road. Five minutes later I was at the viewpoint on Marine Drive with a clear view of the Iona log-booming area, the Strait of Georgia, Vancouver Island and the moon. I noticed a line of clouds over the water, and within a few minutes they were threatening to cover the moon, spoiling my chances of getting a moonset shot over Vancouver Island.

I grabbed a couple of shots as the moon began to duck below the clouds, looking like it was settling into a soft cushy bed. I got back in the car and headed for Siegel's Bagels (passing a couple of trees with three eagles perched on high branches) to pick up the best bagel I've had in ages: still warm from the oven with some delicious tangy cream cheese. Then time for a quick car-wash (no queues at 6 in the morning...) and home again for some coffee.

Putting the moon to bed
Moonset, 16 Jun 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment