Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 65: Pining for the fjords

No Norwegian blues here, but I have to admit I'm missing the peace and quiet of our weekend at Desolation Resort. It's beautiful coast up there, islands and inlets galore. The ferry journey from Earls Cove to Saltery Bay gave us a taste of it on the way back, with hints of views up the Hotham Sound and into Prince of Wales Reach on Jervis Inlet, flanked by massive steep-sided mountains. We could see a double waterfall dropping over 100 m...

I've been watching the new growth on the pines on campus, and now the pollen cones are sprouting I wanted to get a picture. But today's photo nearly didn't happen as once again I picked up the camera without checking the state of the batteries. I got three photos before they died on me. I took them out and spent the day warming them on top of my computer to get the very last power out of them, and on the way home I was lucky enough to get three more photos, one of which is below. Phew! I suppose I could criticize the old camera here as it doesn't have a battery level indicator, only warning you when the batteries are literally about to run out, but I won't.

Scots pine pollen cones
UBC, 27 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment