Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 52: Thirteens all the way

What a coincidence: today is Friday 13th May, day 52. Of course 52 is divisible by 13 (like a pack of cards). And there are 52 weeks in a year - plus a day and a quarter ;-) On my computer screen just now, it's telling me that the temperature is 13 C. A little while ago I checked the time and it was 13:13. The album I was listening to this morning on the way in to work had 13 songs....

What's this got to do with today's photo? Nothing. I went out for a short wander around my usual patch looking for photographable things. The bright yellow bird I'd seen a day or two earlier was flitting around and to my surprise I managed to get a half-decent (if distant) photo of it. I later identified it as a Wilson's warbler. There was a halo around the sun, which I discovered is almost exactly the same field of view as the 18-55 mm lens at its widest setting. My photos of it didn't turn out, so I'll save that for another day.

The maple trees reminded me of another photo to try, capturing the silhouette of the leaves against blue sky. It was the ones with the brilliant red leaves that caught my eye and took a few shots with the leaves backlit by the sun to enhance the colour. I suppose really I should have hoped for a white cloud behind the leaves... :-)

In Canada
UBC, 13 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment