Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 59: Seal of approval

Today was a glorious sunny spring day. And I spent it indoors. I had plans to get up and go for a hike or snowshoe somewhere but that never got off the ground (or off the sofa depending on your point of view). It wasn't until the evening that I got outside, just as the high clouds ahead of the next weather system were moving in. Maria and I headed for the beach, parking up by Spanish Banks creek and walking east towards Jericho.

It was a fine evening and we found a way to make it even finer: savouring a pint on the balcony of Jericho Sailing Club with the best views in town. People were crab-fishing off the pier as usual, and the tide was high, right up under the pier. Keeping them company were three harbour seals, one of which regularly swam in close to the pier. An eagle flew overhead, no doubt off in search of food for its young.

We finished our drinks and walked down to the pier, where I stood waiting for the seal to pop its head up again. I didn't have to wait long before it appeared barely 10 m away. It swam slowly towards me and stopped a few metres out, looking me directly in the (camera) eye several times. That's undoubtedly one of the things that makes seals appealing (apart from looking like friendly big-eyed dogs), their willingness to make eye contact. It disappeared briefly before returning for a second look. I happily took another dozen photos, and even managed to take some steady video (for once).

In the meantime the sun had set. The light on the water turned golden and we took a steady walk back to the car. Tomorrow we're off somewhere new :-)

Inquisitive harbour seal
Locarno Beach, 20 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment