Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 51: Just beachy

A sunny afternoon, and a long overdue chance to get down to the beach. Despite being only 15 minutes away, and despite my repeated attempts to convince myself that I should go down there at least once a week, today's the first time I've walked down to the beach in probably six months. The fact that it was a nice afternoon (after a few brief hail showers in the morning) helped entice me out of my chair.

I headed down Trail 3 onto Tower Beach right next to one of the old WW2 lookout towers. The tide was high, but low enough for me to walk out onto the smooth rocks. I remembered our backpacking trip to Nootka Island and the time spent walking on such beaches. I looked back and saw Crown Mountain gleaming in the sun. I liked the lineup of the beach, the tower, the water and the jagged snow-plastered features of the mountain and grabbed a quick couple of pictures.

I continued along the beach, stalked a warbler and some bleeding heart before the climb back up behind the Museum of Anthropology. Four hundred steps and each one told me how out of shape I am. I guess I should do this more often...

Crown Mountain towers over Tower Beach
Tower Beach, 12 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment