Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 44: Yes!

I started this project with a day spent looking for white fawn lilies (also known as trout lilies) in Lighthouse Park. I saw none there and I'd given up on the chance of seeing any this year. But then work took me over to Vancouver Island for a couple of days, and as I was driving down the hill at the end of the day, a white flower at the roadside caught my eye. Then another, and another. I had another car behind me, and the road was quite narrow, so I had to keep going and leave them behind but there was no doubt in my mind: I had seen white fawn lilies.

Today I drove in with a little bit of time to spare and stopped at the bottom of the hill to photograph a gorgeous patch of pretty shooting stars (quite appropriate for the Herzberg Institute for Astrophysics :-) As I drove up to the observatory, I saw that there were in fact dozens of lilies, some of which were barely a minute's walk from the parking lot. I picked up the camera and walked down the road until I found my spot. Several cars passed me on the way up, perhaps wondering what I was doing. I didn't care: I had found my lilies, and I was ecstatic.

More photos from this trip are on Flickr.

Raindrops on a white fawn lily
HIA, 5 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment