Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 43: Photo of a ferry, from a ferry

Early start this morning. I was going for the 7 am ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay and made it by inches: our car was the last one on. I didn't expect it to be so busy at that time in the morning, but then I saw the line up of trucks. On board, I relaxed for a bit but of course as soon as we approached Active Pass I was out on deck, braving the chill wind. I walked from port to starboard and back again multiple times, eyeing up the view. It was a perfectly calm and still morning.

Part way through the pass, the other ferry came into view, accompanied by a small boat speeding across its bows. I was amazed to see this boat head into the pass at the same time as two large ferries; it struck me as a bit foolish. The ferry turned into the pass and was almost head-on, pushing only a tiny bow-wave ahead of it in the calm water. I've taken plenty of ferry photos before and usually don't find them particularly exciting, but today the light was mostly right and the flat calm water looked irresistible. Besides, what else to do you take pictures of when on the ferry?

Exiting the pass, I took a photo of the swirling waters around the warning light (which is on a small shoal). The tide was low enough for the seagulls to keep their feet dry and though I didn't see them at the time, looking at the photo later I could see half a dozen seals hauled out as well. Makes it worth being out on deck.

More photos from this trip are on Flickr.

Spirit of Vancouver Island
Active Pass, 4 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment