Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 184: These tulips are poplar with me

Remember my previous comments on tulips? There is one type of tulip that I do like, and it's a tree: the tulip poplar. It's a tree I grew to like when we lived in Maryland, as it's very common there. Our first visit to Shenandoah was striking as we saw hundreds of tulip poplars covered in bright yellow leaves. In the spring they produce some of the loveliest blooms of any tree. I was pleased to find tulip poplars here in Vancouver, but of course they're not native and when autumn comes, the leaves don't turn as golden as they do on the east coast. Here, they usually just go brown and fall. But occasionally one leaf tries to put on an east-coast show and today I found one stuck to the pavement. I couldn't resist.

Tulip poplar leaf
Kitsilano, 22 Sep 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment