Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day 170: Angels in the ice

Our last day of touring in the Rockies. I dropped off Mum, Dad and Maria at the parking lot below Mt Edith Cavell, returning to Jasper to get petrol (I'd foolishly ignored the gauge as we drove down the Icefields Parkway). If I ran out, I figured it was better to inconvenience just me rather than all four of us. I made it OK (phew!) but I let the car coast in neutral on pretty much every hill, and kept the engine speed below 2000 rpm at all other times. Fortunately the roads were quiet and I was very glad to see the petrol station in Jasper. Heading back up to Edith Cavell I could now afford to push the car a little harder - and I must admit, although the CR-V did quite well on that twisty road, I think the old Integra would have been more fun...

The star of the show is undoubtedly the Angel Glacier, with its outstretched "wings" lying in a bowl above a 400-m cliff on which the head of the angel is draped. Personally, I think it looks like a dragon :-) Whatever your interpretation, it's a stunning sight, especially with the remnant glacier at the base of the cliff calving icebergs into the green meltwater tarn. Last time we were here, with Susannah and Kevin, we hiked up into the meadows. I didn't feel the need to do that today, and just enjoyed sitting in the warm sunshine, admiring the view.

The Angel Glacier
Angel Glacier, 8 Sep 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment