Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Day 175: All things must pass

How do you capture something on a day of loss? And how do you write about it? My lone surviving grandparent, my grandad, died today in his sleep, aged 88. I have many fond memories of him, from my childhood (even though I only saw him perhaps only for a single week per year), from my adolescence and in particular from my wedding day. He'll be sorely missed by the whole family.

Coincidentally, one of my cousins had a new arrival, capturing the essence of the cycle of life in a single day. I tried to get a photo that encompassed that, but none of the ones I took worked that well. It feels a bit of a downer to use a photo of something dying, even if it is only a flower, but actually I quite like it. To my mind it seems at peace.

At the end of its time
UBC, 13 Sep 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment