Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 97: What's in a number?

Number 97 - I grew up in a house with that number. That has absolutely nothing to do with today's photo though :-) Since the summer solstice, the Earth has travelled another 1.6 per cent or so around its orbit; another way of looking at it is that there's about 97 per cent of the journey to the winter solstice remaining.

I wandered out just after lunch to stalk my new favourite flower patch. The lupines are growing up fast and will soon be past it, although a few new ones are still pushing through. A few colourful California poppies are dotted here and there among the lupines and dandelions (and ever-encroaching brambles). But the flower that caught my eye today was this white one. I don't know what it is, but I liked the edge-on view and that all the yellow stamens were pointing up towards the sky.

Edge-on flower
UBC, 27 Jun 2011

Update: it's yarrow (I should have known that...).

No comments:

Post a Comment