Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day 156: Stirring up the hornets' nest

Ha ha ha - not really, I value my life more than that. I got stung by something at the beginning of August and I was reminded how painful it can be. I didn't see what stung me, I just felt the stabbing pain right above my sock line. I was wearing shorts which, when I think back to an incident from my childhood, has a touch of irony about it. It was a warm summer's day, a loooong time ago when it was fashionable for jeans to be somewhat wide at the bottom, and a wasp flew up said jeans and stung me behind the knee. I was told in no uncertain terms that would not have happened if I'd been wearing shorts as "advised". Fast-forward a blurry number of years and there I was in shorts with a painful wasp (or hornet) sting.

A few days ago I happened to walk past a tree outside the Student Union Building and noticed this nest. I didn't have my camera on me so I made a mental note to return to it the following day. The next day I found something else of interest, and then the day after that (yesterday) I forgot the camera altogether! So today - finally - I got the photo(s) I was after, and I was never more glad of the long zoom lens as the nest is being built by bald-faced (or white-faced) hornets which are easily provoked into stinging. Maybe that's what stung me?

The hornets' nest
UBC, 25 Aug 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment