Friday, August 19, 2011

Day 150: World photography day

Apparently today is World Photography Day so I wondered how I could make my contribution. In the evening we're going to a talk at the Beaty Biodiversity Museum on the Burgess Shale, and I figured I would take a walk over there to check where we have to go. Since I work at UBC, I get into the museum for free (yay!) so I took advantage of that to get a picture of the main attraction there, an enormous blue whale skeleton. I've seen one before at the Natural History museum in London, but somehow the scale didn't register, perhaps because it's hung in a very large hall. At the Beaty, the skeleton fills the space, and it feels like it's possible to get a closer look. I was really impressed as it dawned on me just how large these animals are. And it was great to get a close-up view of an animal I first heard about in the 1970s when Greenpeace launched their "Save the whale" campaign.

Blue whale bones
Beaty Biodiversity Museum, 19 Aug 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment