Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 308: Overlapping circles

Another rainy, rainy day - a torrential downpour one minute, fine drizzle the next. Bands of heavy clouds rolled over Vancouver, and it was interesting to note the change in light levels. At one point, visibility was barely 100 m as the drizzle enveloped everything. Later, and still well before sunset, it seemed as though we were on the verge of the "blue hour", only for it to brighten up again, before darkening again and so on. By the time it actually got dark, I felt like I had anticipated two sunsets already. Between the downpours I snuck out with the camera to get my afternoon coffee, and pretty much the only thing to photograph were the puddles. As the rain started again, I liked the overlapping, spreading circles as the rain drops hit the surface. With such a dull day, the exposure time was long (1/3 of a second!) on the usual ISO setting of 100, and only 1/50 s at ISO 1600. The shorter exposure looked better today, but I liked the long exposure effect too, so that's one to save for a different rainy day.

Overlapping circles
Rain, 24 Jan 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment