Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 303: A tantalizing view

The forecast was a mix of sun and cloud today, and if there was much in the way of sun, I didn't see it. My afternoon ventures to find a subject have been getting later in the day, following the sunset. I didn't expect to find any colour and I was fully prepared to hoof it down to the beach to catch whatever shades of grey the sunset offered. I got as far as the Museum of Anthropology and stopped to try and photograph one or more of the half-dozen eagles soaring overhead in the cold breeze. None of them really worked - the new camera is fine for capturing scenes, but less good at fine detail, and bird photos are very often about the fine detail. But that didn't matter. Over the course of the next 10 minutes, the light on the mountain tops changed from creamy white to an orange glow and I was drawn to the distant jagged peaks of the Tantalus Range beyond Lighthouse Park. I zoomed in, steadied myself and clicked.

Sunset glow on the Tantalus Range
Tantalus Range, 19 Jan 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment