Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day 294: Reconstruction

I remember the first time I saw a house in Vancouver undergoing renovations: the lower half of the house had its boards and cladding removed, and was propped up on four or five towers of wood. It's a common approach round here to gut the entire property, leaving little more than the framework and then rebuild the house around it. Every time I've seen a house in that state, I've said to myself that I really have to take a picture... A few weeks ago I noticed that the tall cedar hedges on the corner of a nearby street had been removed to reveal the houses behind. Soon after that, the cladding came off, the interiors gutted and the rotting wood and fascia dumped into skips. Today I walked down to see underneath the houses, all the way through to the lane behind. I was disappointed to see that they're not jacked up on pallets, but they still capture the essence of house renovations and reconstruction here. Oh, and that's the shadow of my arm at the bottom of the picture.

Reconstruction and renovation
Kitsilano, 10 Jan 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment