Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 68: Water falls

It's been a bit of a waterfall weekend. In addition to hiking around Brohm Lake yesterday I drove further north on the Sea-to-Sky highway to re-visit Brandywine Falls. Today I met up with Andrew and Merewyn to hike High Falls Creek on a gorgeous sunny day. The last time I did this trail was as wet dreary day in April 2006 and I had always vowed to only repeat this trail on a good day. It lived up to every expectation and surprised me with just how steep it is, and how scary a few stretches are.

I'd seen other photos of a rainbow in the spray and we timed it just right as the sun came round onto the falls. The rainbow was faint but I was really pleased to capture it. What I couldn't capture were the smells of the day: the intoxicating, intense fragrance of the cottonwoods and the gentler scent of the sun-warmed pines. Breathe...

We stopped off at a roaring Shannon Falls on the way home to finish the day in style.

Faint rainbow in the spray
High Falls Creek, 29 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment