Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 41: At the end of a day of rain

Well yesterday was fantastic, but today it was business as usual with cool temperatures and rain, rain and, later in the day, light rain. I spent all day in my office looking out glumly at the weather wondering what on earth to try and photograph. I was hoping I'd have enough light to get some flower macros when I walked out towards the end of the day, the rain easing off to a light sprinkle.

I made my way over to my recent haunt, searching for some good periwinkle flowers to capture. I wasn't feeling too hopeful about getting a good photo, but as I was crouched down I was distracted by the sound of a nearby bird. It's hard to describe the sound, but it was a bit squeaky, almost like someone blowing kisses. It got louder, and I looked up to see a female hummingbird hovering a little over a metre from my nose. She hung there for a moment before darting off into the tree, but she returned a couple of times before flying up to perch in another tree. To my surprise she stayed close by, much closer than the male I've watched several times before, and I was able to fire off a couple of photos, and she even stayed put long enough for me to grab a short video clip.

Maybe she was scolding me for being in her back garden. Maybe she was really blowing me kisses
:-)

Rain drops on periwinkle flowers
UBC, 2 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment