Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Day 42: Scratching that itch

Some days it's hard to find something interesting to photograph, other days are an embarrassment of riches. I had already taken enough photos for several days' worth of flower pictures, but the good weather tempted me out for the evening too. On my way out of downtown I saw both parent birds perched near the huge eagle nest in Vanier Park, and got off the bus to go take a look: I simply could not resist the prospect of getting some eagle photos. Even the chance to see them up close is enough to make me want to go there. The sun had emerged below a cloud bank, bathing everything in golden evening light. The new cottonwood leaves shone against the blue sky.

As I reached the tree, one of the birds took flight, returning a few minutes later with the carcass of what looked like a crow in its talons. I could hear the seagulls over near Granville Island making a racket - the eagle had clearly ruffled a few feathers (groan). It landed on the nest and appeared to be feeding a youngster, though the size of the nest made it impossible to see directly.

I managed to get a good line of sight to the other eagle and was sizing up my shot when it started scratching its head. I fired off several in a row and was pleased to find one of them was just perfect, catching the eagle with its eyes closed and talons poised. In scratching its itch, so was my own, thankfully not with those talons :-)

Scratching that itch
Vanier Park, 3 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment