Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 45: And now for something completely different

After yesterday's excitement over a handful of little white flowers it was back to business as usual today, keeping my eyes open for photo-ops as I walked across campus. A couple of days ago, the maintenance crews at UBC started the process of re-seeding the grassy area west of the Student Union building. Under today's bright overcast (rainy) skies, the remaining patches of grass and moss at the base of each tree glowed bright green against the dark soil. I've always liked the perspective of looking along rows of things, and I've taken a few test photos of these trees in the past.

I took a few photos, and I was quite happy with them, perfectly content to make one of them my photo for today, when I remembered something we tried a long time ago in the forests of Shenandoah National Park. The exposure time of the photos I'd taken was quite long, 1/30 of a second. I reduced the aperture to make the exposure time even longer (1/6 s), sized up the shot, pressed the button and quickly rotated the camera through 90 degrees, leading to the swirly, vortex tunnel effect in the photo below :-) Cool, eh?

Oooh, swirly...
UBC, 6 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment