Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 67: Solo serenity

Maria's down in Seattle at Folklife so I got up (stupid) early for a gentle solo hike in the Brohm Lake Interpretive Forest, just north of Squamish. A quiet drive, and an empty car park: I met no one on the hike. Just me and the trees, and rocks, and flowers. I was unpleasantly surprised by just how out of shape I am, puffing up the hills like I'd never hiked before. That was a bit of a wake-up call...

I followed the route suggested in "109 Walks" and I must admit I really enjoyed the trail. It took me a leisurely 3 hours to complete the 7 or so km circuit. The two highlights are the viewpoints with fantastic views towards the Tantalus Range, one of which was high above the Cheakamus River. They were good enough today: they'd be spectacular on a clear day.

In the end I've opted for the very first photo I took this morning, a perfect reflection of the trees in Brohm Lake.

More photos from today are on Flickr (plus an evening snowshoe on Hollyburn).

Perfect reflection
Brohm Lake, 28 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment