Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 57: Another day, another orb

I was on call for software support at the telescope last night, and I slept quite lightly as a result, waiting for the phone to ring, hoping I'd get to it in time before it woke Maria. In the end my bug-fix from yesterday worked flawlessly (yay) and I wasn't needed. That didn't stop me waking in the early hours and getting up to watch the dawn. A layer of high cloud hung over the North Shore mountains, extending west towards the Sunshine Coast. The easternmost clouds were tinged with pink, and I waited to see how much colour the sunrise would bring.

To the south-west was the setting just-past-full moon, and I turned my attention to that. As sunrise approached, the surrounding sky turned purple then pink, and I took a series of photos to capture the moon. I settled on this photo, the moon and its purple haze. It's a little bit noisy (I had to underexpose it to stop the moon from getting washed out), but I really like the effect of the purple sky and the thin veil of cloud over the lower part of the lunar disc. Never have I had my photo in the bag so soon in the day :-)

Purple moonset
Moonset, 18 May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment