Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 343: The Journey

Today's after-coffee wander took me past some blooming oregon grape which I was convinced would be today's subject. But the sleet and bitterly cold wind drove me on in search of other things, eventually forcing me inside the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre. Going through the doors of the old section, I looked around at the stained-glass windows to see if any of those would work. Unfortunately the most interesting panes could only be photographed from an acute angle, so I wandered on until I was stopped in my tracks by a piece of First Nations art on the wall. Striking in its circular simplicity and triangular arrangement of faces and eagle profiles, the mixture of warm-coloured wood and etched glass is just so simple, yet so effective and so appealing (as faces tend to be). I sized up my shot, noting that the camera wanted a 0.4 second exposure. Time to lean on the banister and practice stillness; I pressed down on the shutter release gently, keeping my finger down for three shots in a row. All three worked, so here's the first.

The Journey, by Brent Sparrow
UBC, 28 Feb 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment