Monday, February 27, 2012

Day 342: Vancouver at night

I'd taken some mediocre shots during the day, but it wasn't until the evening when I saw how calm the water was that I knew what picture I wanted. I drove down to Kits outdoor pool and set up the tripod on a small grassy patch with a clear view of the city. I should have brought the remote shutter release or used the timer as most of my photos showed signs of camera movement as the tripod settled (it's not the sturdiest tripod), but fortunately three photos turned out perfectly. Then it was just a matter of choosing the preferred scene - I like the fact that the mountains can be seen behind the city in this one. One other thing I should have done when shooting this scene: I should have used the in-camera correction for lens distortion, as the curvature of the reflections is pretty obvious near the edges of the photo. I could get rid of that if I processed it from raw but that's something I've yet to get into.

Vancouver skyline at night
Kits Beach, 27 Feb 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment