Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 327: Grumpy

In local birdwatching circles, great blue herons are known colloquially as GBH (which means something a little different in the UK). I think it can also stand for "grumpy blue heron" as the expression and demeanour of this bird might suggest. "Grumpy" is also how I feel tonight after twisting my ankle on a small kerb on the way back to the car (after enjoying more tasty hot chocolate and a waffle at Leonidas). Back to the heron, we were amazed to find this one standing in little more than an inch of water right next to the trail along the shore of Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park. This is as close as I dared get, not wanting to spook it into flight, and it's as close as I've ever been to a heron.

Grumpy blue heron
Lost Lagoon, 12 Feb 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment