Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 316: Former glory

A few short months after I took day 28's photo, the Hollywood Theatre closed its doors forever. It seemed inevitable that an old-style cinema showing second-run films would not be able to survive the modern movie-watching experience (you know, watching a horrendously-compressed version on a 4-inch phone screen). But the reason for its demise seems to be simply one of money - the owner was offered a deal he couldn't refuse (though maybe not in the Godfather sense), and the property was sold less than 3 months after celebrating its 75th anniversary. Before I knew this, I felt guilty for not frequenting our local cinema more often - I still wish I'd watched more films there, but I no longer feel guilty about it.

The late great Hollywood Theatre
Kitsilano, 1 Feb 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment