Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 324: Symbols for Education

I don't walk this way too often, and when I do I'm usually on the other side of the road. I was drawn into the small courtyard behind Brock Hall by a tree in blossom, but my attention was immediately grabbed by the artwork on the opposite wall. I had no idea what it was when I took the picture - I just liked it, and thought it would be a nice colourful photo on a rainy day - but a search of the UBC website turned up a page describing it. Turns out it's a glass-on-cement mosaic commissioned by the graduating class of 1958, with each panel representing the various academic disciplines studied at the university. It goes by the apt name of Symbols for Education. There is a fair bit of public art on the campus, but this is definitely one of the nicest pieces. The only point against it is that astronomy isn't represented.

I can't believe there are only 6 weeks to go, a mere 42 days.

Symbols for Education
UBC, 9 Feb 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment