Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 285: A new year

Happy New Year, and welcome to 2012 :-) We met up with our friend Carollyne for a walk around Stanley Park, accumulating photos as we went (as usual). There were lots of birds on the water, including a really large raft of surf scoters. I took a short video clip of them as a wave of birds ducked under the water (no pun intended), each bird diving as the one in front disappeared. It made for a really interesting effect. My photos didn't turn out so well, so I've ended up using this one of two types of seagull feeding in the shallow water as the tide was going out. Don't get me wrong - I really like this photo. The long zoom makes the mountains of Vancouver Island look very close, the sky is a lovely peachy colour, the waves are just breaking and the birds are nicely in focus. It has a lot going on, and yet retains a feeling of space.

Feeding gulls
Stanley Park, 1 Jan 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment