Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 2: An achievement in itself

Of course all of yesterday's enthusiasm had waned by the time I got up this morning, and the realization of what it means to take a new photo every day began to sink in. Nonetheless, I threw one of the cameras into my work bag and headed in.

On my way across the UBC campus, I passed the "Storm the Wall" setup where a group was practicing getting one of their team up and over the wall. This is an annual event at UBC and is effectively a modified team triathlon with swim, run, bike and sprint elements culminating in getting the team over the wall. All week I've had to listen to organizers' cajoling over a PA system (usually accompanied by obnoxious music); it gets a bit tedious to listen to the same pronouncements over and over again, but it's all in good fun, right? ;-)

The day came and went, and I hadn't taken any photos, but I knew that the Wall area would be quiet now as I headed home. Indeed, both walls were covered in white tarpaulins (looking like bleached, fallen monoliths from 2001) and the aromatic mulch spread out for protection was lit up brightly by the afternoon sun. With no one around (I'm not keen on getting strangers' faces) it was easy to get the shot I wanted.

A Storm is brewing
UBC, 24 Mar 2011

Next week is Spring Break, and the contest is on all week so hopefully I should be able to get at least one decent action photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment