Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 273: Symmetry

I'm a big fan of symmetry in photographs. My eye is naturally drawn to it. That and perspective are probably the two main things I look for in sizing up a photograph. Buildings offer both, and the UBC campus has a few which I find myself drawn to. The most obvious is the subject of my "blue" picture, the Koerner Library with its abundant glass and steel lines. I particularly like the atrium, the roof of which forms the spine of the open book design for the library. Nothing else was working today, so I decided to find the right spot to get the front and rear vertical beams to line up perfectly. I also liked the fact that the late afternoon sun was shining through, casting shadows of some of the diagonal beams onto the glass adding a little bit of symmetry-breaking into the mix. If I was being picky, I'd prefer the light to be a little warmer, but that's not so easy at this time of year and I shouldn't get greedy after yesterday's gift.

Spinal symmetry
UBC, 20 Dec 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment